The holidays are a time of traditions. Each and every one of us has our own crazy way of celebrating the holidays. Pop artist Shayna Leigh sat down and shared with us her top five Christmas traditions. What are yours?
1. CHRISTMAS LIGHT-GAZING DRIVING EXPEDITION. On Christmas Eve every year we drive around in pajamas and look at the Christmas Lights. There’s a specific street a few minutes away from us that always goes all out. It seems to me that you cannot move to this particular street with out first agreeing to be part of their annual Christmas extravaganza! We make sure to hit that street and anywhere else that looks particularly festive.
2. CHRISTMAS MOVIE MARATHON. I mean… marathon might be a bit of an exaggeration, but we always watch at least one Christmas movie… Generally either Miracle on 34th Street (the original) or It’s a Wonderful Life. (my mother has a bizarre obsession with both these movies). Truth be told, I’ve never not fallen asleep during said marathon… but it’s an important tradition nonetheless.
3. S’MORE WHAT?! The creation of the perfect s’more takes years of practice. Luckily, despite growing up in Florida (yes, we have a fireplace in Florida… and we use it!), it has been drilled in my head that S’mores and the holidays go together like peanut butter and jelly… I have yet to make the perfect s’more… but that doesn’t mean I’ve given up trying!
4. BLACK FRIDAY SHOPPING. Our family’s holiday traditions begin long before Christmas Time is even upon us! On the Friday after Thanksgiving for just about as long as I can remember, my parents (ok.. mostly my mom… ) and my sister and I spend the entire day shopping together picking out our Christmas presents. Then we go ahead and wrap and exchange them a few weeks later. Unconventional, yes. But it ensures that everyone LOVES their gifts and gives us an extra reason to spend the day together.
5. FAMILY. ENOUGH SAID. The holidays to me are all about family. And friends that feel like family. The most important holiday tradition of all, and the one that I think we should all adopt, is to make sure we’re surrounded by loved ones as much as possible. That’s what